Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A change is going to come




The landscape is all too familiar; the buildings, the people, the timing—all common fixtures of our daily days; integral details that our subconscious holds no further than arms length to appease the whispers from comfort’s constant lobbying for the status quo. As creatures of habit, it’s easiest to sleep at night with the knowledge that our microcosmic world will resume as it was prior to when our eyes pressed the pause button. So overnight with no significant development, we awake and navigate our unchanged territory in an effortless sleepwalk. No rocking boats, only solid ground.

My life in the past six months have been marked by attempts challenging this urge for complacency and a tremendous desire for change (financial, career, more education, etc.)  Although minor progress has been made, my overall attempts have been futile.  This lack of success in my endeavors resulted in a manifestation of anger and frustration. My initial reaction was to outwardly place blame so I began to equip myself with weapons, consisting mostly of an acid tongue, F bombs and one-finger salutes. Upon preparing to launch my first assault, I quickly retreated upon realizing that I would be declaring war on innocent bystanders that had no control over my lack of progress.

During my retreat I had a chance to reflect and think of what I was doing that was preventing me from achieving the next step. After a few scream matches directed at my pillow to let go of the anger, I was back dealing with this stalemate. I had used everything I learned, owned, built to move forward, so what was the problem?

Two nights ago, I was trying to fall asleep and I started to think of the concept of change- to remove and replace. The wheels in my mind started to turn and I concluded that before a major change, before making a move, or departing from a position from where you are, one must purge themselves from unwanted or unnecessary people, places or items.

Yesterday, I started the process of identifying what is needed in my life and what can be discarded for me to move forward. I started with the tangible items first, unnecessary papers, old notebooks; garbage of the past if you will. It may take a few days or weeks to completely purge myself of the excess that has been nothing more than a distraction, but I know now that I have a starting off point and I know that a change is going to come.

2 comments:

Jessy said...

Hey Mauricio! Been awhile, but I just wanted to say I still try to keep up with you and can relate to your post. Recently, I too have begun a "purge" of sorts.. because how can we reach our potential when we still have the past (even good memories) dragging us down? I feel like humans (or me, at least) only have a finite number of people/things/memories they can store, so if one wants to acquire new experiences, one must discard unnecessary elements that have outlived their usefulness or no longer hold any kind of significance. You're right--the excessive stuff is just a distraction. I've been a mild hoarder (mostly old school stuff, papers, letters) for yeeeears cuz I used to tell myself, what if I became a famous author someday and someone wants to document my life or create a museum exhibit about me (I know, dumb.. haha), but really, all of these *things* just take up space and brain usage. Right? Right? Well, I wish you luck on your cleansing of the past! It might be helpful to try to throw away at least one thing a day for the next year? I read about this suggestion in some dude's blog and it seems like it could be potentially liberating to continually throw out the old and unnecessary. Yeah?

Mauricio said...

Hey Jessy,
I'm glad that you connected with this posting! I absolutely agree that we have a finite amount of memories; to hold tightly to the past only keeps us anchored in place. So as you said, "one must discard unnecessary elements that have outlived their usefulness or no longer hold any kind of significance." Discarding items over a year would be very therapeutic but I might try the bandage approach, just ripping off so as to make it quick as possible.

P.S. Keep your dream of becoming a famous author, we can reconstruct your past when the time comes.