Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

In Good Company


There’s nothing better than a good laugh, a real tear inducing, bellyaching, boisterous feel good laugh. Okay, maybe there are a few things but the sensation of a good laugh and the subsequent feelings have a way of lifting spirits.

For the past two weeks, I’ve had the privilege of spending an extended period of time back home with my family and close high school friends. In 16 days, I probably laughed and enjoyed myself more than I have in the 349 days leading to them. Perhaps it was because I left all my armor in Los Angeles; I wouldn’t need them where I was headed. For some reason I just knew that I wouldn’t.

I got reassurance that leaving my armor behind was the right choice upon arrival; a warm welcome literally and figuratively—hugs and some sun.  It was nice to be completely at ease, no pretenses, just me--silly, idiotic and acting foolishly without any criticism or passing of judgment. It was a relief because as much as I hate to admit this, I spent most of my time last year concerned with what my actions would mean to others so I acted cautiously, more focused on how not to rock the boat because it might upset others. Being around my family helped to boost my self esteem and recognize my self worth, they helped me rediscover that I’m getting too old to be concerned with what people say about me behind my back.

 I ended 2010 and started 2011 on a good note and in good company; I understand where to run to when I’m in need of comfort and support. This epiphany couldn't have been packaged any better with wrapping paper and a massive red ribbon than the form in which it was delivered, unconditional love.


No comments: